Wednesday, November 23, 2011

American Music Awards 2011: The Bad

Now onto the bad looks. You all know it gets better as we go down the list. Good is fun, bad is better and ugly surely is the best! What's the difference between bad and ugly you might be asking yourself? It's simple. If the looks was well thought out, cute and otherwise nice it could become bad if one little thing is too off to ignore such as a bad color, fit or if it's unflattering to the person wearing it. Ugly is beyond that, the outfit has no redeeming qualities and would be better on the atelier floor.


Audrina Patridge, come on down. You're the first contestant on DOC's AMA 2011 Bad List. This is a classic example of a bad. The dress is cute, the shoes work, hair is pretty but if you're seeing what I'm seeing all I can focus on is the reverse racoon eye makeup. Hello! Concealer around the eyes, you can see it even in the full length picture. Not good. At least it's not powdered to hell on top of that. Many makeup artists say to use a concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your skintone under the eyes to "cancel out" the shadows. DON'T. Or you'll look like this. Use one that is your shade or slightly lighter but not this much of a contrast. In fact, I usually sweep my bronzer close enough to the eye that I don't get this look period. I hope she learned her lesson.


Many of you may call Jennifer Lopez's dress ugly but I'd like to stop you right there. While it's certainly not my taste you have to admit that the girl has the body to pull it off. I just love her figure and since i know she works hard to keep it that way I think she should show it off. It's not nearly as daring as her 2000 Grammy Awards Versace dress which will forever live in infamy. She redeemed herself by keeping her makeup, hair, shoes and accessories simple, classic and clean. I can't wait to see what she'll wear next.


Katy Perry always looks quirky and I just have to get used to that though I may never be able to do it. I adore her figure as well and this dress makes the most of it but it's just too cutesy and ironic for my taste. I'm not sure I can get on board with the pink-purple hair either and I really wish you didn't see light brown roots in this picture. I do have to say that I'm kinda in love with the hair accessory she's wearing but of course I wouldn't wear it myself. The cats eye makeup and tomato red lip are glamourous and I think it would look better with her natural haircolor, possibly some colorful streaks but not the full on look. I also adore the pop of blue of her shoes.


Lastly, Mary J. Blige. I love the pattern and material of this dress but I don't think it's particularly flattering to have the bigger spots on the hip area, it makes it look like the fabric had to stretch to fit over her hips. Obviously that makes them look bigger than they are. In general I'm also not a fan of one shoulder/long sleeve hybrid dresses. I believe a one shoulder dress should be sleeveless on the arm. I don't like Mary J. with blonde hair, I don't find it flattering with her skintone and I'm hugely unimpressed with her annoying arm band tattoo.

What about you? Are we in agreement or would you like to save someone from the bad list?

No comments:

Post a Comment