Thursday, January 20, 2011

Golden Globes Hair: The Bad

Now, the flipside of hairstyles at the 2011 Golden Globes, the bad. Again, I'll do my best to give you coverage without the snarkiness. Take advantage, I may not be so generous tomorrow.

First up, Julianne Hough. What a beautiful girl! While there's nothing inherently wrong with her updo (it actually looks amazing from the back) I was hoping for some visual interest in the front. From this angle it's matronly, not a good look on someone younger than me. Some baby braids or texture would have pulled it in the other direction? Agree?

Again, there's nothing jumping out at me about Kyra Sedgwick's hairstyle. It's not bad but to me it's just not special enough. Perhaps it would look better all up to show off those gorgeous earrings or ditch the earrings altogether and wear the hair down. Either way would work for me, this just doesn't.

Then there's Nicole Kidman who, fitting with the trend of the day, doesn't look bad, I just don't think she looks good. I've heard rants all over the blogosphere from commenters that her hair was greasy but I don't find that to be the case. It might not be squeaky clean but it's not disgusting either. I love the color and I'm so glad she's going back to her red roots.

I understand the complexity of retro 'dos but I feel like they have to be flawless to work and both Sofia Vergara's and Milla Jovovich's styles are too relaxed. I'd like to see Sofia with a little more shine and controlled curl and Milla with a whole head of rolled under barrel curls, I think the flipped out look was an accident but it ruined the whole look for me.

No bad hair list would be complete without Helena Bonham Carter. It's hard not to be snarky when it comes to her but I'll try. It makes it slightly less horrible because I'm sure it's what she was going for. She does kooky like nobody's business. If she'd gone for an all up or all down look it would have been nearly acceptable. I do love her veil though, it adds a fun element to her bird's nest.

Full Disclosure: This post was written in April 2011 in the interest of reference for myself and my readers.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Julianna Hough actually looks old here, I'm not a fan of her makeup either but the hair definitely adds a few years. I hate that retro style that is apparently working it's way back into 2011. I do have to say that I thought Sofia Vergara's hair was pretty though. It was refreshing to see someone wear it down where it actually looks soft.

    ReplyDelete