Monday, September 5, 2011

Mascara Monday Wrap Up: Part 3


Mascara Monday is officially coming to an end today. It's a little bittersweet to be honest. While it means the end to a series on DOC it also sparks the beginning of a new one, one I hope you'll enjoy as much as I know I'll enjoy writing it, My Essentials Monday. It'll be a little more fun because, let's face it, not everyone is entranced reading about mascaras every Monday. I'll share with you everything in my beauty arsenal that I can't seem to live without! I hope you'll enjoy it and I can't wait to hear what you have to say.

The first batter today is Urban Decay Cannonballs. UD is my favorite beauty brand for their pigmented colors and incredible wear time. Although I only gave Cannonballs a light, in store test I thought it was good enough to write home about! I'm not a waterproof girl but if I had to use one it would be this one. My lashes didn't feel dried out or cakey like they usually do with waterproof. I don't have enough experience with this one to give it a formal grade for fairness sake.

Smashbox Lash DNA- You know how some mascaras are really all about the brush? Well, this is one and not in a good way. The chopped off design left something to be desired and was downright scary next to such a delicate area. The mascara itself is dark black and leaves my lashes volumized, lengthened and clump free. Sadly, the brush makes this one a C at best. Luckily, it's no longer on sale at Sephora.

Too Faced Lashlight Mascara- I adore this one! It's cute little flashlight is adorable but it's not the only reason I can't live without this TOP 5 mascara. The smaller brush gives great separation and leaves my lashes lengthened and fanned out as well as giving them the proper amount of volume for any less-dramatic event. This one gets an A-! TOP 5 for sure.

L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Mascara- Again, I can't get past the brush on this one, it's one of those spiky ball-type contraptions. I can't do it. I'm an admitted klutz but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a chica who could actually maneuver this thing. This one's not very black and I ended up clump city. Sadly this is an F product but here's the link anyway.

If I were a lesser blogger (and a cheater) I would give Sephora Give Me Some Lash TOP 5 contendership. I can't do that. It's not fair. This one is actually a set of mini mascaras. It's a great way to try out products that you can't really test in the store. Who wants to put possibly germy product on their lashes with a sub-par disposable spooly brush? Not me. These make great gifts and they always seem to be available around the holidays. I might even beg Mr. Dudesday for another one next year if they have a different variety than what I've already reviewed for y'all. This one, of course, gets an A+, it's how I found most of my favorite new mascaras.

Here's another Tarte mascara for you, 4 Day Lash Stain. I can't get over the 4 day part. Unless you don't shower for 4 whole days you're not going to get that much wear out of this product. Sounds like camping trip material, if only it were worth it. I didn't find this to be a stain, it was a pretty crappy mascara. It's definitely dark and it made my lashes long but there was no where near enough volume! Guess that's why they called it a stain. This deserves no more than a D+.

The last one in my quest for a perfect mascara is Rimmel Sexy Curves. Great name, great packaging, great mascara? You betcha. I would have liked it even better if it gave me the promised curled look without a lash curler but with it I was fine. This baby clumps a little bit but nothing to worry about. I'd give this sucker a B-.

You've seen the TOP 5 contenders Buxom Lash, Too Faced Lashlight, Korres Abyssinia Oil, Sephora Advanced Lash Booster and Benefit BADgal but are you ready for the BOTTOM 5? I probably shouldn't admit this to everyone but sometimes it's more fun to hate a product and write all the crap that you usually keep bottled inside.

If you've read all my reviews you know how I feel about Maybelline Great Lash, frankly, I hate it. Every time I see that iconic pink and green tube I get the urge to toss it in the trash and stop some poor soul from paying actual money for it. I'm glad it's under $4 because at least then it's a lesson you can learn on your own.

Lancome Definicils! I don't honestly know why Lancome get's all the hype they do in the mascara department. I haven't tried anything else by them but if they are only as good as this one you'd find it hard to convince me they are worth the $25+ they retail for. With that kind of cash I could buy a couple tee shirts or a pair of jeans at Old Navy, no thanks!

Clinique gets marks in bad taste for preying on the gulibility of its customers. Repeat after me "I do not need a special mascara for my bottom lashes." I swear, you do not. You can skip it altogether if you want (I do frequently) or if you really want to learn how to do it properly I'm sure there are great Youtube tutorials on the subject.

Another Clinique waste of cash is High Impact Mascara. This one is so high impact that it's hefty. This is like the chubby sister of many great mascaras, it has good intentions, somehow makes good grades (by others) but overall it's not worthy of a date with, like, the superhotboynextdoor!

Rounding up the worst of the worst is Telescopic Explosion from L'Oreal. This brush is crap, plain and simple. I'm decently skilled at makeup application but even I can't deal with this brush. Keep the cash in your pocket and pick up a few Pumpkin Spice Coffees at Dunkin Donuts, it'll save your sanity and your wallet.

I can't wait to hear what you think about my choices in Parts I, II and III. I'm also excited for next week when you can start learning all about my essential products! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment