Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cannes: The Good

Ahh, the perks of being a celebrity. The Cannes Film Festival is perhaps the poshest of all celebrity events, the creme de la creme of Hollywood and fashion elite show up to support films that most likely you've never heard of and probably never will. It looks like one hell of a time. I was inspired by a lot of these looks and you will see that through the rest of the afternoon posts this week. Happy envy-ing!

Victoria's Secret Angel Alessandra Ambrosio really brought in Cannes. Doesn't she look like a mermaid. With all her iconic VS poses, my favorite is the mermaid pose she's perfected. Plus, the eye makeup and sexy bedhead just remind you how beautiful she really is.

Try to ignore Brad for a second and look at Angie. Personally, I wouldn't have thought that a brown dress could be pretty but it really is. The ruffle makes it look more couture, a little less prom and it's a simple, classic style that really suits Angelina.

Elisabetta Canalis looks drop dead sexy in this gorgeous mini. I love the sheer panel and the ruffly skirt. She looks like she belongs in Hollywood.

Cheryl Cole. You may have heard of her or you may not. She's pretty huge in the UK, where she's from and I have a feeling her spot on the X Factor will catapult her to worldwide success. Honestly, I think she's one of the most beautiful women out there, although this picture is not very flattering on her face. I've rarely seen her with her hair up but it definitely helps her lowcut dress shine. I adore it. If I had the body I'd certainly be wearing it.

A look I actually love but would never, ever wear is the shorts suit look that Eva Herzigova pulls of amazingly well. I love the ruffled shirt and red shoes, it lends a flirtiness to the whole thing.

Gwen Stefani had a lot of great looks at Cannes, including one I featured on Sunday that I loved so much. This look is just fun and carefree and how beautiful of a photograph is this? I could almost see myself rocking that dress although I could never make it look as good as Gwen.

Something about Jodie Foster's dress shouldn't have worked and on paper it just sounds like a bad idea but in the real world, fabulous. I love the chain neck and the blue looks great with her skin. If only some of her class would rub off on her co-star, Mr. Gibson, who should be run out of Hollywood immediately for his antics.

Here I go again! I think I have a love affair with the color orange, orange dresses to be exact. I'm never going to wear one, I'll say it again, but I can't stop admiring those that do. Karolina Kurkova rocks this dress. I particularly love the waist accent, the black belt and grommets. This is rockstar chic and something I'd more expect to see on Gwen Stefani.

There is a way to look fabulous and classy at the same time and Mia Wasikowska does it perfectly in this dress. The color looks fabulous on her (unlike others she chose at the festival which you'll see tomorrow) and the simplicity of the design paired with a few tweaks really let's her shine. This looks like it was made for her.

I have to say, I don't really watch a lot of TV or movies, not lately anyway, and I have no idea what Linda Cardellini has been up to since ER ended but I was glad to see her at Cannes, brightening the whole place up in this gorgeous hot pink wrap style dress. I could see myself wearing this if I were ever to be on the red carpet, it's an incredibly figure flattering style even though the lovely Linda needs none of the same help that I do.

Many people will probably disagree with me here but I adored Naomi Campell in this feathery yellow frock. Now yellow and feathers can easily read like Big Bird but I think the short style kept it from going there. Naomi looks like she's having fun and we all know we don't want to get on her bad side.

Mischa Barton and best dressed lists usually don't go together but she totally deserved the honor this time. I love the color against her skin and I think it really accentuates the positive in her body type. The only thing I can't get on board with are the pantyhose it appears she's wearing. Just step away from the hose, Spanx would have been a much chicer (not to mention invisible) option.

Perhaps my favorite look from the festival was Penelope Cruz in this gorgeous sapphire dress. The color looks amazing with her coloring (although it looks great on most people) and the tailoring is perfect. This woman did not just have a baby. Holy Sexy, Batman! Again, this is something I might actually consider wearing if I had a place to wear it.

Penelope stunned me, I had to feature her twice. While this gown is certainly out there I think a fab figure like Penelope's can really pull it off. In another color that really compliments her skintone and haircolor, Penelope shined on the red carpet, if all of you Depp girls can stop staring long enough to look at her I'd appreciate it.

Penelope's great friend Salma Hayek just knocks my socks off she's so sexy. Rarely does this girl have a fashion flop and I must say she's got the best tailor out there because it cannot be easy to dress such a petite yet curvy figure. This dress was no exception. I adore it. Look how tiny her waist looks.

In another two-pete we have Tilda Swinton, a chick I've ragged on a few times but always had the most hope for. She really pulled herself out of the depths of my Bad and Ugly posts and rallied her way to not one but two spots on the Good list. Bravo. The first look is a gorgeous separates ensemble that highlights her height and svelteness without making her look like string bean. I adore pencil skirts on taller girls and the shirt really works. I could see a sexy professional wearing this to work.

Didn't I tell you sapphire looks good on everyone? Tilda could not look any more different than Penelope but both look amazing in this jewel tone. I love the subtle difference between shades on the bodice and skirt and the rouching that gives the appearance of a fuller figure. Bravo Tilda! I'm keeping my eye on you.

Were there any Cannes looks you loved that I missed? Let me know. Keep your eye out for some fun extras this week too.

1 comment:

  1. My most loved look from the celebration was Penelope Cruz in this flawless sapphire dress. The shading looks stunning with her shading and the fitting is great. This lady did not simply have a child. Heavenly Sexy, Batman! Once more, this is something I may really consider wearing on the off chance that I had a place to wear it.

    denim vest for women

    ReplyDelete