Monday, May 23, 2011

Rimmel Volume Flash The Max Bold Curves Mascara



Phew, that is a long name! Really, all you need to know is that it's in the lime green tube with pink writing, the complete opposite of Maybelline Great Lash, thankfully in more ways than one. First of all this mascara works. The brush is big enough to really change the look of your lashes, not just darken them with a smidge of tint and clump them together, always a plus. Also, unlike Maybelline, I could really see the lift and curl my lashes had when I applied this mascara. As you can see, I'm not a huge Great Lash Fan and that will never change, especially not when there are so many better products out there. But back to Rimmel.

I'm not to proud to say that curved brushes kinda scare me, I mean, which way do you hold it, round part up or down? Once I got past that hurdle (it's always up for me!) I liked this mascara. Curl is important to me. It's one of those really overlooked aspects of mascara, one of the things everyone loves but most mascaras don't even pretend to provide, you'd need a lash curler for that. Not this girl. Of course I own one but do I ever bother to use it? No! Also, this mascara fattens my lashes right up, lengthens them to the max and leaves them super dark even though the formula is only straight up black, not extra black or very black, just plain ol' black. I love that.

Now for the cons. One huge thing that gets me, possibly so much so that I wouldn't re-purchase this product, is that too much mascara dispenses on the wand. Way too much! I find myself cleaning off not only the tip but the whole wand in order to avoid the clump city I can see coming from a mile away. That's a big bummer. I wish it didn't have to be this way but I see no way around it, nothing I can do to make it work better for me, that's all up to Rimmel. Are you listening Rimmel?

Also, even though I didn't remove my mascara at night (I rarely do) I still expect not to have dark smudges under my eyes two days later when I didn't wear any makeup on the day in between. I can still feel it on my lashes days later. Call me what you will because to many this may be a good thing, to me it's not. I want to be able to be lazy enough to leave my mascara on overnight and not have it running and flaking all over my face for two days, even after only one use.

Lastly, another con for me, was that I did get flakes of mascara after a few hours of wear. If you're going to work (and you're not an excessive eye rubber or contact wearer) you might not have a problem with it. It's just that for me, I'm always touching my lashes, call it vanity or sheer silliness but I call it dedication, anything for my readers and Mascara Monday. I'd often get flakes in my eyes (or at least it felt like it), maybe that's why my eyes have been so irritated lately when I had no other signs of allergies.

Honestly, when wearing this mascara I liked it but now that I'm sitting down to write the pros and cons I can see it's not the best fit for me. At least I came to this conclusion now, better late than never, right? I probably wouldn't repurchase and with the way my eyes have been lately, I might even have to concede and toss this one in the garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment