Saturday, May 28, 2011

Discount Beauty

You know those things you just have to have, namely sunscreen, Nair and those fun makeup and beauty items that you use as a pick me up? Well, I'm here to tell you that there are ways to save money and still treat yourself. This week I went on a mini (as in, one night) vacation and along the way decided to hit up some discount stores. It's one of our favorite things to do, usually just poke around all the things you'd never find elsewhere, discontinued items, items that were overproduced, even things with seasonal packaging that wouldn't sell. I found a few secrets to share with you.

1) If you're in the market for some fun makeup and don't need the newest trendiest releases it's in your best interest to check at discount stores first. Honestly, there are some pretty fun things at the dollar store, name brands, things that aren't made anymore. Then there's the stores that get all of the items that were produced too quickly to sell. Check out the prices but make sure you know that you're not always getting a good deal because many times the stores don't now (or care to know) how much something retails at. Also, if something looks off it may have been sitting around for a while and you might want to pass it up.

2) If you're in the market for Philosophy 3 n 1's, do yourself a favor and hit up TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Recently I haven't been into one without spotting at least one Philosophy bottle. I would have bought a ton except I'm up to my neck in them already. With so many scents to choose from this is a great way to explore the brand and save yourself a little moola in the process.

3) Always stock up on necessities like sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, body sprays and depilatories (Nair, Veet, etc.) at discount stores such as Big Lots. Man, I went into Wal-mart on my way home for a pee break and couldn't believe the price of my favorite sunscreen. Thank goodness I had picked up that $4 bottle at Big Lots on the way down. At $11 I saved myself $7 and picked up some makeup on a deep discount with the leftover cash. Just make sure to check the expiration date just in case (although the store does that for you). These stores always have cheap body sprays and lotions that are perfect to store in your fridge and douse yourself in during the hot winter months. I love that.

What about you guys? You must have some secrets or regional favorite stores for fun items. Maine girls have to check out Marden's and those of you in New England can't go wrong with Ocean State Job Lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment