Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Beauty Girl's Secrets # 12: Home Exfoliators

You know what I hate perhaps more than George Lopez and country music put together (yes, I unapologetically hate both)? When products I love are discontinued! Especially products that are the best I've ever used. Case in point: Victoria's Secret Body Scrubs. These gems are so gritty that it feels like a nice hearty backscratch whenever I use them. Now I'm hoarding them, using a tiny bit at a time and dreading the point where they are all used up. What can I say? I live for those things.

Now, what's a girl to do? Sure, I'm sure there are a ton of great body scrubs out there but I'm very particular. I like them in a squeeze tube and not a tub that just gets product under my nails and therefore wasted. I like them to be gritty, salt or sugar based, not oily, who wants that kind of residue on their skin after a shower? Not me! Well, sometimes things just aren't meant to be because I can't find another one like it, anywhere! Do let me know if you know of any that are great.

I've heard people have great success with creating their own exfoliating products, my mentor, Julia over at All About the Pretty, was even featured in Glamour magazine for her amazing concoction, adding 1/2 a teaspoon of brown sugar to your regular cleanser. I've tried it, it really works. For the body I also recommend adding more brown sugar to olive oil to make a gritty paste but this is best done before bed and on days when you're not going to be applying self-tanner, as the product will not adhere to your skin properly. Honestly, this leaves skin less greasy than some oil based products.

There are many other things you can do to exfoliate your skin, I've heard of using regular "table" sugar, baking soda, even sea salt for really rough areas. Have you tried any of these? Also, I've heard great things about Philosophy's Exfoliators and even though I have a sample I haven't actually tried it yet. Of course, I have a favorite facial exfoliator which happens to be from Philosophy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment