Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer Sun Protection

What's the quickest and easiest way to apply your SPF? A spray! A spray! It's so simple you're an idiot for not doing it (seriously, I said it). As long as you make sure to apply everywhere (and it's really not that hard) you're set. You don't even need to rub them in. I kid you not. I'm paler than pale and sun exposure turns me into a lobster and I've never had a problem that wasn't human error. Pack one of these for your next beach day, family outing or outdoor wedding. You may think I'm being harsh here but considering two of my closest friends have had cancerous moles removed, I'm not taking any chances with my life or those of my readers. Here are my picks, in no particular order of preference.

Aveeno Continuous Protection gives just that. Apply it every two hours and this fine, colorless mist will protect you from UVA and UVB rays to prevent burning, aging and freckling. This really has no scent and I've never had a problem with it staining my clothes or furniture.

New this summer is Aveeno Hydrosport, a sunblock spray that can be applied to wet skin and still provide protection. While I haven't used it I'm considering picking it up the next time I run out of sunscreen. I'm like a fish (swimming not drinking) at the beach and it would be quite killer not to have to completely towel off before reapplying, only to go right back into the surf.

A longtime favorite of mine is Neutrogena's Fresh Cooling line. Seriously, this sunscreen spray, also colorless and virtually scent-free, will cool down hot skin in no time. This one is available in some pretty high SPFs but that's no excuse not to reapply, trust me you'll be sorry if you don't.

Not to be outdone by Aveeno, Neutrogena has also released a line for wet skin appropriately named Wet Skin and Wet Skin Kids. These are most likely going to be my next purchase as I've had the best of luck with Neutrogena products in the past. Plus, the can's just a lot cooler than the yellow/orange Aveeno one and if you can't find simple pleasure in these things you're taking life a little too seriously.

Then there are products rivaling the convenience of a wipe in an application method you may prefer, SuperGoop's Wipes and stick. Wipes sound like an amazing idea but for $34 for 40 wipes they aren't going to be on my shopping list for a while. The stick, also a little pricey at $14.50, would be great for the face and ears but not so practical for the rest of your body. Plus, I have an inkling I'd leave it in the car and end up with a melted mess in my bag. There's also a new, online exclusive spray for $19.50, though it appears to come with a pump instead of an aerosol top and I'm not sure how well that would work if you were in a hurry and not being particularly careful and SPF 30 is just not enough for my fair complexion.

While you're at it pick up LaVanilla's Lipscreen with SPF 30. It's totable and perfect for your beach bag. Do you know how delicate lip skin is? Sunburns on this sensitive area are absolutely no fun and they burn quite easily surprisingly.

If you're not going to do it for yourself and save your skin from sunburns, age spots and wrinkles down the road, do it for your friends and family! Save them from losing you when your life is cut short from skin cancer. Stay tuned every weekend for more exciting sunscreen reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment