Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Beauty Girl's Secrets: Week 6: Home Facial

One of my all time favorite ways to relax and help myself look great is a home facial. It takes a lot of set up and preparation but I swear my face has never felt better than it does after I'm done.

What you'll need: Washcloth and towel, large bowl, glass of cold water, plenty of steaming hot water, a facial cleanser, scrub, toner and for after, a serum, moisturizer and eye cream.

Bring plenty of water to a boil and dump it into your bowl. Carefully bring it to a table and, while draping a towel over your head, rest your face over the bowl and allow the steam to hit your face. Do not get too close to the water and risk getting a steam burn on your face. Also, if you start to feel dizzy stop immediately. I've never had either of these complications but I wanted to forewarn you.

As soon as you start to sweat, dip a corner of the washcloth in the hot water, allow it to cool off to a respectably hot but not scalding temperature and wet your face and cleanse, alternating between the hot water and cold water on your washcloth. Immediately after cleansing use a gentle scrub on your face. You may also reverse the order of scrub and cleansing depending on your preferences but to me they're interchangeable.

Now, continue where you left off with the steaming hot water and steam your face for 5-10 minutes, newbies start with 5 this time around and work your way up to longer. You may also want to add essential oils to your water to help relax, invigorate or stimulate your senses.

Lastly, towel off and apply a toner if needed, an antioxidant serum followed by a rich moisturizer and eye cream. I promise you that your face will feel so smooth it will be hard to keep your hands off it all night. Do try your best but I can't make any guarantees that it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment